Friday, July 25, 2014

COMM 7728 Remix Assignment

For our remix assignment, we were asked to work in groups/pairs to create a fun way to explain a topic that related to our individual areas.

Elizabeth Ferry and I chose to work together.  We both teach mathematics and Algebra at that.  We decided that we wanted to incorporate some type of "rap" video with a cartoon, but we were not sure where to begin.

We started by creating a Google Doc where we could collaborate and write the lyrics to this "rap".  To see the lyrics click here.

The next part was the tricky part.  How would we get these lyrics put to a video with music.  After creating the lyrics, I decided to look to Powtoon to create some slides.  However, I was still stuck with the thought of getting music in the background.  We had toyed with the idea of the app Smule, which takes your spoken words and turns them to rap, but it would be difficult to get these to properly fit each Powtoon slide that I had created.

As I was playing with Powtoon, Elizabeth sent me a link of a video she had created using GoAnimate.  The only downside, it was not our entire "rap" because it was only 30 seconds long.  Therefore, we decided to create two videos.  I made the second one and was excited when I finished, but then it would not save.  I tried this numerous times as I lost about three videos.  I finally figured out that in order to save, I needed a specific type of GoAnimate. ( I don't know how Elizabeth saved hers.....).

I finally decided to purchase a three month subscription. (It was only $18.) This gave us the option to create one video instead of two.  The one video include the entire "rap" as well as fun commentary.  I was also able to make some fun video for my first day of school!  So after the very long and trying issues, we finally came out with a great finished product.

I hope you all enjoy our GoAnimate Video on Solving Two Step Equations

No comments:

Post a Comment